Your vehicle breaking down is a very common occurrence and one which can happen at any time. Over the years we have dealt with many different problems in the busy area of West London. Because of this, we have some tips for you to follow, if you ever get caught up with a vehicle malfunction.
Breaking down can cause some implications where your safety may be at risk and so you should follow our precautions to ensure the safety of yourself and others around you.
Broken Down Near Heathrow?
If you have broken down on a quieter road, there are still risks that you need to account for. The danger to yourself and others could still be significant if you are obstructing parts of the road from other vehicles. If you have broken down on a quieter road, make sure than you follow these following steps:
1. Use your hazard warning lights on your car and if you have a reflective jacket then put this on. This makes it easier for other drivers in both the light and dark. If it is wet and dark, then you should put your sidelights on as well as your hazards to make sure that you are more visible to those around you.
2. Make sure that yourself and any passengers are safely way from the car, if you feel like there could be a chance that your vehicle could get hit by another vehicle.
3.Put a warning triangle within 100 yards of your car. This enables other road users to prepare to slow down and take precaution.
4. Once you have assessed the situation and you feel that everyone is safe, only after this is when you call for breakdown recovery. Wait for assistance and don’t attempt to fix the problem yourself, you may worsen the situation or cause harm to yourself and others.
5. From here the mechanics will assess the situation and if it is possible for the vehicle to be fixed on the roadside then you need to make sure of these two things. Make sure you take back your warning triangle and only pull away when in good time.
Broken Down on the Motorway or Carriageway?
On these busier roads are when you pose more risks to danger and so there are more precautions you need to take into consideration. With cars reaching high speeds you need to be more careful on where you pull over and how you do so. In some cases, you may not be able to pull over into a safe spot and so you are at even more risk. If you have had a failure within your vehicle then make sure to follow these steps:
1. Make sure that you are parked as far to the left as you can and if possible in the hard shoulder. It is also recommended that you steer your wheels away from traffic, in the chance that your vehicle may roll.
2. After you have parked in a safe spot, it is essential that you keep your hazard lights on, despite being out of the way of traffic. This will help to make your vehicle more visible to other road users.
3. If you have a reflective jacket, make sure that you put this on as it will make sure that you are well. This is important when people are driving fast on these roads and may not see you as they are focused on the road.
4. Once you have done this, you need to make sure that all of the passengers that may be in your car, all leave through the left side of your car to make sure that no accidents can occur between them and the oncoming traffic.
5. When everyone is safe, you can then call an emergency breakdown recovery service.